- Add to My Favorites
- Add back to My Favorites
- Remove from My Favorites
- Mark as complete
Add to My Favorites
Added to My Favorites
Make a hearty pilaf with barley, a trio of vegetables and Parmesan cheese. Don't skip the lemon peel; citrus lends flavor and lets you cut back (or skip) adding salt to a recipe.
Prep/Cook Time: 25 Minutes, Servings: 4
- 1 3/4 cups lower-sodium vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1/2 cup small broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup 1/2-inch pieces zucchini
- 1/2 cup chopped red sweet pepper
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh chives
- 1 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel
- 2 tablespoons finely grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- In a medium saucepan, heat broth to boiling. Stir in barley; return to boiling. Reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 8 minutes. Add broccoli, zucchini and sweet pepper. Return to boiling and cook, covered, for 3 minutes more or until barley and vegetables are tender. Remove from heat and stir in chives and lemon peel. If desired, sprinkle each serving with Parmesan.
© Dotdash Meredith. All rights reserved. Used with permission.